Big Sky Country is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned adventurer, Southwest Montana offers limitless recreation and fun.
Majestic Madison County is one of the richest recreational areas in Montana and is as beautiful as it was when discovered in 1805. The historic Sportsman’s Lodge is a perfect home base while exploring Southwest Montana, including comfortable and clean rustic cabins, a full-service restaurant, bar, and casino. You won’t want to our newest addition to Sportsman’s Lodge, The Canary! A historic Speakeasy with a rich and lawless past. Poker, Gaming Machines, Pool Tables, Dart Boards, Top Shelf Bar, Live Music, and more!
- Play on the water! Whitewater Rafting, Paddle Boarding, Canoeing, or Kayaking. Trust us when we say there is nothing like experiencing our clear alpine lakes and wild rivers. Visit Trout Stalkers in downtown Ennis for your water recreation rental fun or Montana Whitewater for Big Sky & Yellowstone white water rafting trips.
- Fly Fishing in Southwest Montana offers one of the world’s highest concentrations of blue-ribbon fisheries. Find our Local Fly Fishing Outfitters here: https://www.sportsmanslodgemt.com/activities/
- Explore State Parks within an hour of Ennis, Lewis and Clark Caverns, Madison Buffalo Jump, and the Missouri Headwaters
- Three National Treasures. Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier National Parks are truly spectacular and offer very different experiences.
- Rock Climb with Montana Alpine Guides in Bozeman. It will change your life.
- Visit a Ghost Town. Virginia City is a National Historic Landmark District and a living ghost town—a piece of the old West frozen in time. After gold was discovered in Alder Gulch in 1863, the stampede to this area was on, and many cities popped up during this time, including Ennis. Stop at Cousins Candy Shop for a real treat.
- Hiking. Explore and take in the views of three breathtaking mountain ranges, including the Gravelly Range, the Madison Range, and the Tobacco Root Mountains surrounding Ennis. The Bear Trap Canyon National Recreation Trail is a great spot to hike or take your dog for a run.
- Vigilante Carriages. Take a historic stagecoach tour or chuckwagon dinner ride and discover what life was like in the 1860s. Chuck wagons are open-air buffets featuring hearty and simple foods prepared in Dutch ovens over a wood fire. Enjoy beautiful views, lots of history, and laughs!
- Stargaze. Relax on your patio and take in what Montana is known for…our Big Sky!
- Golf. Madison Meadows Public Course has welcomed golfers since 1982. The 9-hole course, designed by Frank Hummel, is a par-36 golf course measuring over 3200 yards from the back tees. Madison Meadows is another big draw to Ennis and something the whole family can enjoy.
Ennis was named one of the top 10 cowboy towns in America in 2021.
We’re here to help plan your new adventure!